Saturday, June 5, 2010

COOKING WITH GRAY

Food, it's interesting how one can just experiment with it. I had my hands dipped into cooking for the past few weeks. Quite a mixture of experience. Apparently, cooking pasta is quite a breeze. Get some tomato paste, OO, luncheon meat and mixed vege and presto, 1 serving of pasta coming right up! Tried it twice and no problems at all.

On the other hand, I had major problems with my beef stew. It was a lesson of how important ingredients are. 1stly, I used frozen mince beef instead of beef cubes. Now, normally I would say that this is ok but then after eating it I realized it's very hard to distinguish between the mince beef and garlic and the burnt stuff.

2ndly, never use cheap wine and stout to make your stew. A very big mistake here because the stew will end up tasting as bad as your wine and stout. A big reminder to never use Outback wines from Australia and Royal Stout. From now on it's just Guiness Stout and ermm....I'm not really sure about red wine, anyone can help me out? Hehe!

Thirdly, never ever, ever, ever try to fry anything in a pot with a whole cup of olive oil! It is a very, very big accident waiting to happen. Nearly got myself a big explosion in the kitchen but I did get a whole big mess with the oil just shooting itself out of the pot. I had to clean up the whole mess by myself too. A very big reminder to myself that it is a stupid idea to put that much oil into a pot and set the heat to almost maximum.

Lastly, potato always taste good no matter how bad the whole dish was. Haha! Boy! those potato really taste good. Those sweet, succulent, tender but crunchy potatoes! Hmmmm, so good that I can still taste them. Another big lesson learnt, if you think that you're dish is going to turn out bad, put them potatoes in there. No one, I mean no one is going to suspect anything because the potato is going to save the day. Period!!!

Well, that's all for today. Join me again later for more insipid, gastronomic and maybe some crazy idea for cooking which I've discovered.

No comments: